Thursday, October 18, 2007

One of my worst fears, realized.

Ryan's school has asked us to place him someplace else. They don't think they are the right "fit" for him. The resource director spent a couple of hours observing him, and says that his sensory issues are pretty severe. He is not attending to the instruction more than 25% of the time. He has had 11 "notices of concern" since starting school...that would be 8 weeks ago. They are pretty sure he has Aspberger's in some form. And they don't recommend that he go to a public school, because the county schools just are not advanced enough in this area to do him any good. 2-3 years of intensive therapy is what is needed, along with a very low ratio classroom. So my choices are looking like $10K per year in private school that deals with learning and developmental disabilities, or home schooling him.

This may not seem like a big deal to anyone else, but I am heartbroken, angry, embarrassed, frustrated, and did I say heartbroken? We've worked so hard to get Ryan into this school. We *just* bought a house within walking distance, and the difference between that house and this one could pay for his entire elementary school in a private school. I'm not sure I'm going to find a school that will take him right now, especially mid-year.

I just feel...broken. I feel like I've failed him. I know I have.

2 comments:

Tiffani Hill-Patterson said...

Oh, Ginnie. I'm so sorry to hear this. Just want you to know I'm thinking about y'all, and saying some prayers that you'll find the right answer soon.

Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Hey Ginnie, I'm finally getting caught up. You are NOT a failure. You did NOT do this TO him. You are a GREAT mom - just the right, perfect mom for Ryan.

Anytime at ALL you want to talk about homeschooling, you send me an email and we'll chat.

Many HUGS,
Melissa