Tuesday, December 18, 2007

I took R to the pediatrician today, thinking that I need to get everyone involved in whatever treatment plan we come up with. He's not really happy that the psychologist didn't use an Asperger's rating scale (she said she hasn't found one that she really likes), and doesn't have anything about the qualifications in the DSM in his psychological assessment report. I talked to a few people last night at a dinner, one works for First Steps, one has a son who is HFA/AS, and one who is a psychologist and works at our Autism Training Center. All three of them were surprised that he received this diagnosis without a rating scale and without DSM qualifications. Now, I don't know that she didn't figure the DSM in her final assessment, but it isn't in the report at all.

Anyway, the pediatrician is going to fast track us to a Child Evaluation Center, specifically to a developmental pediatrician who will evaluate Ryan and then decide what other evaluations he needs (speech pathologist, OT, etc.). This will in essence be like a second opinion, I guess, or maybe just more in-depth evals, I don't know. But I'm all for more evaluations.

My last chance school didn't come through for me. I'm not sure what we're going to do now. The only options are keeping him at StMM for half-days, putting him in a public school (only to change schools in the fall, because our "home" school doesn't have room for him right now), or home-schooling him. Tomorrow I need to call and find out which school he would be at if I put him in JCPS right away, that will make a difference in my decision.

Ryan had a bad day at school yesterday, knocked some poor girl to the ground for no reason during PE. I got a stern note from the PE teacher "This behavior will not be tolerated." Well, duh. He was apparently off-task most of the day, which is unusual. The night before he'd had a meltdown at bedtime and didn't end up getting to sleep until 2 hours later than usual. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not. This morning he was defiant and shrieky about everything, so I made the decision to keep him home from school. It makes me nervous to send him when he's having a rotten morning, and today was a pretty unstructured day. He missed his holiday party and gingerbread building with his 6th grade buddy, and I feel terribly guilty about it, but he was in such negative shape this morning I didn't want to risk another day like yesterday. I'm not sending him for the short day tomorrow either. I don't know that he'll go back to that school or not in January. Ugh.

1 comment:

its.me.heather said...

You are an amazing mother. I wish I had blogged... or journaled our Journey with Marsia from the initial attempts to find out what was wrong till now. I can tell you things do get better. The world is geared to help the severe but you will learn things to do at home that will make HUGE differences in your life and most important in his. Don't ever forget... our goal is to not make them "normal" - because no one is normal. We are all different and that is what makes us so special! :-)