Friday, September 14, 2007

My diagnosis

Finally finished reading The Out-of-Sync child. And here is what *I* think Ryan has issues with. We'll see how close it is to the final report!

Modulating auditory sensations - we cannot take him to movies due partly to the loudness (even with ear plugs); no fireworks; Max and Lily screaming/crying makes him crazy; even as a baby, I could never use the blender, mixer, vacuum or hairdryer with him being in hearing distance.

Modulating visual sensations - again, no movies on big screens; hides from bright light, especially sunlight.

Proprioceptive Sensory Seeking - (MAJOR) - deliberately bumping and crashing into things; was a "head-banger" as a toddler; bites his nails; loves to jump from furniture to the floor (will do it over and over again)

Grading of Movement (proprioception) - uses a lot of force when writing on paper; seems unable to tell how much force he uses in touching people.

Tactile Sensory Seeking - (MAJOR) - asks for back rubs; need to touch and feel everything in sight-has "gotta touch" items that other children understand are not to be touched; always takes shoes off; "dive" into food, often cramming mouth with food; drinking water has to be ice cold/chews on ice; shows "in your face" behaviors, getting very close to others and touching them, even if unwelcome; eats almost exclusively with his hands rather than utensils.

Gravitational Insecurity (vestibular) - at times fearful of heights/falling - won't go within 2-ft of the edge of 2nd floor railing that was substantial enough and solid enough that there was no room to fall through it; becomes anxious when feel leave the ground not of his doing; will not go upside down doing gymnastics tricks.

And then, I know the OT observed issues with motor planning; upper trunk/postural weakness; and bilateral coordination, but those are things I haven't personally noticed.

There was a paragraph in the book, that had I read it a year ago, I would have said YES! This is what it is!! Here it is:
"By the time Rob was two...He required constant attention. Time-outs didn't work because I couldn't contain him. He was defiant, disobedient, disrespectful, and demanding. He was always busy, always talking (great verbal skills!), strong-willed, contrary and easily frustrated."

That is/was Ryan to a "T". But to just read that, it sounds like a behavioral/strong-willed child problem, right? There was nothing there that to me, pointed to anything other than a challenging child and a parent (me) who wasn't dealing with it effectively. If, at age 2, someone had told me that Ryan had a neurological issue, I would have said "Yeah, right. He's neurologically fine, he just doesn't want to behave." Now, to be honest, he does have behavior issues that are likely beyond this sensory processing diagnosis, but until we have this under control we'll never know if the other behaviors will cease.

Now I'm off to read The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun". And pick up more reading materials at the library. And pray for Ryan to get another green card today....I so hate that stomach-clenching feeling when I pick him up, and his wonderful teacher motions me over to talk. Will I ever get over that??

No comments: