Thursday, February 7, 2008

LOL...as soon as I posted that last post, I "got mail"...from his teacher who is "shocked" that we're pulling him out.

What cemented the decision? Two things. First, I get an email from the resource director who stated that it was time for us to review Ryan's notices of concern and decide whether he would be able to continue at StMM. I was told at the last meeting (before Christmas) that if the number of notices didn't diminish, he would not be able to stay. At that point, he'd had about 8 notices in 8 weeks. Right now? We're looking at 8 notices in 6 weeks (two this week alone). Writing on the wall?? So I started thinking what would be better for Ryan...Mom and Dad pulling him out because we feel like it just wasn't the right place for him, or the school deciding he couldn't continue there. So it was playing around in my mind, and knowing that they were going to make the decision tomorrow morning....it was playing around in my mind. Then, I went to pick up Ryan today. Every single day when I pick him up, no matter how bad a day he'd had, he would run down the steps and jump into my arms. Every. Single. Day. Today, he didn't do that. In fact, he came out the door and walked quietly down the steps with his head down. I greeted him as usual and asked him where my hug was...thinking he was just distracted by something. But no...he was sad because he'd gotten in trouble yet again at school and he told me that he would hug me when he felt better. He seemed resigned.

Yes, I know there are people out there who might say "Hey, he SHOULD feel bad for getting in trouble". Yes, I agree to an extent. But my Ryan has *always* bounced back very quickly. He shows remorse, might have a sad/angry/frustrated moment or two, but then he's always back to his cheerful self. He's normally very optimistic, very perserverant, and today...he was not. It was almost as if he'd given up. THAT cemented my decision. I had decided long ago that the moment this stated affecting his self-esteem, we would have to pull him out. I was only keeping him there, on the advice of the psychologist, for the social interaction. But this tipped the scales in the other direction.

1 comment:

Heather said...

My child has mild mental delay, sensory disorder& anxiety. I have had him at the weisskope center in Louisville ky twice. I am fixing to take my son back again for the third time to get some anwers. I feel my son has Asperger Syndrome.