Thursday, January 3, 2008

Ryan's day - Thurs Jan 3

Had to encourage him to wake up, at about 7:00. He came downstairs in a good mood. Breakfast - oatmeal, one large helping plus about 4 oz of milk. Got dressed on his own, no resistance, after I warmed his clothes up with the iron! He did 1.5 rounds of a sensory obstacle course before he decided it was enough. Gathered his school stuff, put on his hat/gloves/coat/glasses with no resistance. Went off to school in a good mood, on time.

Picked up Ryan at 12:30. He got his green card pulled for hitting Graham with his (soft-sided) lunchbox. Told Ryan that he couldn't have his lunchbox for a week - either had to use a paper bag or eat school lunch. He lost a tooth during school! He was in a pretty good mood when I picked him up. He had PB&J, Annie's cheddar bunnies, a banana and two chocolate chip cookies for lunch at school.

10 minutes after we got home, I asked him three times to stop swinging his scarf around. [This is a habit he has and he often hurts someone that way] I got up to remove the scarf from his hands and he hit me. I told him he needed to sit on the time out step because hitting is never acceptable, and he refused and hit me again. So I hauled him over to the step and ended up having to reverse-bearhug him to keep him from hitting me more. He managed to heat-butt me *hard* on the chin, so I let him go and took myself off to work off my anger, locking myself in the bathroom. I told him he needed to go to his room. He screamed and raged outside the door, until his dad walked in (early from work) and without a word he stormed up to this bedroom. A couple of minutes later he came down, and (can't remember why...) he ended up hitting me again and starting in on the aggressive behavior. So I hauled him with me into the recliner and just held on to him, holding his arms, holding down his legs with my feet, keeping my (very sore) chin out of the range of his head. It took about 10 minutes for him to quit raging and fighting me, and he told me he was done. I checked it by asking him to do something menial (pick up his coat off the floor) and he did. After that it was as if nothing happened and he was perfectly fine for the rest of the afternoon.

He spent 2 hours at Grandma's house, then I picked him up for therapy. He was disappointed that I didn't have his candy cane nor my money (wore the wrong jacket) but accepted a different candy cane from grandma to eat on the way to OT. On the way home he said he was very thirsty and asked how long before we would get home. I replied "7 minutes" and he said "I can certainly wait that long." :-) He had a couple of chicken nuggets and some mac & cheese for dinner. Before bedtime he had two altercations with Max, both due to Ryan trying to "parent" Max, keeping him from doing something he wasn't supposed to by hitting him. I reminded him that he needs to leave that stuff to me unless Max is hurting himself. Ryan kept pulling on the strings to my hoodie, very annoyingly, and I told him to stop three times. He kept it up, baiting me, so I told him it was time for bed. He resisted, but I told him that he needed to get his jammies on and I would *think* about allowing him to stay up his normal time based on that. He managed to do so, and I told him he could go play UNO with his dad while I put the twins to bed. He was perfectly content thereafter and went to bed with no resistance at about 8:10.

No comments: